Taliban claim responsibility for Kabul attack that left 8 dead Aug 05, 2021 0 428 12345 dpa KabulTaliban forces have claimed responsibility for a Tuesday car bomb attack in Kabul and warned of more attacks against top Afghan government officials.The incident left at least eight dead and at least 20 others wounded, according to the Interior Ministry on Wednesday.Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack on the residence of the acting Afghan defense minister was carried out by several attackers following a car bomb explosion.The attack lasted for about five hours and ended when members of the security forces shot dead all the assailants, Interior Ministry spokesperson Mirwais Stanekzai said.Hours after the attack, the acting defence minister, Bismillah Mohammadi, posted a video on social media saying his home was targeted by terrorists, but that he is safe with his family.The incident in central Kabul came after a period of relative calm.Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid warned in the statement that the attack on Mohammadi’s house is only the beginning of retaliatory operations against government officials who are ordering attacks against civilians, forcing them to leave their homes in different provinces on daily basis. The security situation in Afghanistan has recently deteriorated significantly. Since the start of the withdrawal of US and NATO troops in early May, the Taliban have launched several offensives, primarily conquering rural areas.Recently, the fighting has increasingly shifted to the cities. The government is trying to recapture lost territories and repel attacks on the provincial capitals with increased airstrikes.Those, however, time and again also hit civilian targets.The government and the US, at the same time, accuse the Taliban of placing landmines in civilian homes and hiding behind families when they attack Afghan security forces. Pages 12 RELATED ARTICLES Protests in Delhi over girl’s alleged rape, murder, forced cremation Aug 05, 2021 0 389 Israel retaliates after missiles fired from Lebanon Aug 05, 2021 0 349 Tokyo’s daily COVID infections hit record high Aug 05, 2021 0 1788 Turkey warns US plan to resettle Afghans risks ‘major refugee crisis’ dpa Istanbul Turkey has criticised a US programme to help Afghans who worked in US-affiliated jobs resettle in the United States, warning that the plan would cause a “major refugee crisis” in the region. Washington .. Germany says no plans to stop deportations to Afghanistan after delay dpa Berlin There are no plans to halt deportations to Afghanistan, a German Interior Minister spokesperson said in Berlin on Wednesday, after a flight carrying deportees was cancelled at short notice. The flight, .. Brunei’s diplomat named ASEAN envoy to Myanmar Jakarta: Brunei’s top diplomat has been named as ASEAN’s special envoy to Myanmar, to help resolve the political crisis there following a military coup earlier this year, the regional bloc said on Wednesday. Erywan .. Indonesia’s COVID-19 death toll tops 100,000 Jakarta: The death toll from Covid-19 in Indonesia surpassed 100,000 as the country reported nearly 1,750 fatalities on Wednesday. About 40 percent of the coronavirus-related deaths took place since July due to the .. At least 40 dead, 33 injured in road accident in Mali Bamako: At least 40 people have been killed and 33 others injured in a road accident in Mali. The accident occurred 20 kilometres outside the city of Segou, Security Minister Daoud Mohammedine said in a brief statement on .. Ship safe off UAE after boarding group leaves, says British navy group dpa Amman A group of people who boarded a vessel near the coast of the United Arab Emirates have left the ship, a British navy group said on Wednesday, a day after it said there was a potential hijack. “Boarders have left the ..