Pyongyang warns Seoul against joint military exercises with the US Aug 02, 2021 0 339 12345 dpaSeoul North Korea has warned South Korea against holding new joint military exercises with the US, just days after direct communication channels were restored between the two after a year of suspension.Such exercises are an “undesirable prelude” that seriously undermine the will of North and South Korean leaders “wishing to see a step taken toward restoring mutual trust,” North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s influential sister Kim Yo Jong said on Sunday.The exercise “further beclouds the way ahead of the north-south relations,” she said, according to state media.In South Korea, her statement was seen as an attempt to put pressure on Seoul to cancel the upcoming summer manoeuvres.Kim was referring to the joint drills that are carried out by the United States and South Korea in August.Pyongyang has regularly said the joint manoeuvres are preparation for an attack, an accusation both Washington and Seoul deny.Seoul said it is currently unclear when and to what extent the summer manoeuvres will take place this year, fearing the drills could run counter to efforts to hold fresh negotiations with Pyongyang over its nuclear weapons programme.The US and South Korea have reduced some of the drills in the past, partly for diplomatic reasons.On Tuesday, North and South Korea reopened their official communication channels after a long radio silence.According to both sides, the agreement stemmed from an exchange of letters between Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae In from April.However, the opening of the communication lines should not be understood as anything other than “just the physical reconnection,” Kim’s sister said, adding that “hasty speculation and groundless interpretation” about a new inter-Korean summit was premature. Pages 12 RELATED ARTICLES Turkish wildfires claim two more lives as death toll hits 8 Aug 02, 2021 0 441 Britain blames Iran for drone attack on tanker ship off Oman Aug 02, 2021 0 386 Mexico votes on making ex-presidents subject to prosecution Aug 02, 2021 0 32 Five injured in shooting on New Orleans’ Bourbon Street New Orleans, Louisiana New Orleans police are investigating a mass shooting on Bourbon Street early Sunday morning. Five people were injured in the shooting, which broke out around 3 a.m. It’s unclear if all five were .. Israeli hospitals see rising number of seriously ill COVID patients Tel Aviv The number of seriously ill coronavirus patients in Israel has exceeded the 200 mark for the first time since April. There are 362 coronavirus patients being treated in hospital, the Health Ministry said on .. YouTube blocks Sky News Australia for COVID coverage dpa Sydney The video portal YouTube has blocked the broadcaster Sky News Australia for a week because of its coronavirus coverage. A YouTube spokeswoman confirmed on Sunday that the broadcaster had been accused of ..