Al Khelaifi’s team seeks full acquittal in Swiss court case Sep 25, 2020 0 12853 12345 Tribune News NetworkBellinzona The court case concerning Nasser Al Khelaifi, President of PSG and beIN Media Group – concluded in Switzerland on Thursday after Al Khelaifi’s Swiss legal team presented to the court for over six hours and demanded the full acquittal of their client.The verdict in the trial will be announced on October 30.The case concerns charges against former FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke and a Greek businessman Konstantinos Nteris (better known as Dinos Deris), in relation to the award of FIFA World Cup media rights in Italy, Greece and MENA. Valcke and Deris are charged with corruption and bribery, whereas the only charge against Al Khelaifi is a technical one of “incitement to mismanagement”. In February this year, FIFA dropped all charges of alleged bribery against Al Khelaifi after a three-year investigation proved no wrongdoing.At the court in Bellinzona, the three Swiss attorneys for Al Khelaifi – Marc Bonnant, Gregoire Mangeat and Fanny Margairaz – took turns to rip apart the prosecution’s case.The fundamentals of the allegation against Al Khelaifi are that he bought a villa for Valcke in return for Valcke providing cheap media rights to beIN without a tender. The defence tore apart this completely flawed argument with precision and detail. Firstly, the media rights bought by beIN for the 2026 and 2030 FIFA World Cups were at an outstanding price, not an undervalue ($480 million in total, far exceeding FIFA’s ambitious target of $435 million). Secondly, the fact there was no tender for beIN’s contract is completely a FIFA’s choice, completely in FIFA’s favour, completely legal, and happens across all sports for all kinds of contracts.Thirdly, Al Khelaifi never owned the villa in question. Finally, not one single piece of evidence from the prosecution shows any incitement or encouragement of Valcke by Al Khelaifi to not report something – which is the only charge against Al Khelaifi.During the day, it was also noted in court that given the broadcasting landscape at the moment – both worldwide and particularly in MENA – beIN’s deal with FIFA is even more fantastic for FIFA, given broadcast rights values are plummeting in light of COVID, piracy, no competition in many markets, and Saudi Arabia banning legitimate broadcasters illegally. It was also noted that only last week, FIFA President Gianni Infantino publicly defended beIN’s great deal for FIFA at FIFA’s 70th FIFA Congress. Commenting on the proceedings, Marc Bonnant, Swiss counsel representing Al Khelaifi, said, “For the first time since this investigation began nearly four years ago, Al Khelaifi’s defence has finally been heard. Each and every flaw and contradiction in the prosecution’s case was presented. The 2026-2030 media rights deal was outstanding for FIFA, far from being an undervalue. The villa was never owned by Al Khelaifi, far from being an undue influence. Most fundamentally – the only charge against Al Khelaifi is “incitement” of Valcke to not report matters; not a single element of incitement has been proven. The complete acquittal of Al Khelaifi has been demanded today, and emphatically so. We are confident this will be the case and that justice will be served.” Following Al Khelaifi’s defence, the judge then turned to the prosecution team and asked whether the prosecution had any comments or rebuttals to the defence – to which, remarkably, the prosecution said no.As a backdrop to this case, the Swiss Prosecution service itself has been embroiled in a major and unprecedented scandal that has led to the resignation of Attorney General Michael Lauber earlier this year, who originally oversaw Al Khelaifi’s file and who was sanctioned and resigned for misconduct and lying. Various other prosecutors on Al Khelaifi’s file have also been dismissed over the course of proceedings – calling into question the independence, impartiality and credibility of the entire Swiss prosecution team. RELATED ARTICLES Fahes to extend working hours at 7 stations Sep 25, 2020 0 11655 FM renews Qatar’s firm position calling for a just settlement of Palestinian issue Sep 25, 2020 0 6778 Metrolink M110 operating from Legtaifiya to The Pearl won’t serve four bus stops Sep 25, 2020 0 1319 Qatar supports all efforts to protect civilians, says FM Responsibility to protect is the first line of defence for civilians QNA Doha Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs HE Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani has stressed that the responsibility .. Qatar’s banking sector sound, profitable, says QCB governor Satyendra Pathak Doha Qatar Central Bank (QCB) Governor Sheikh Abdulla bin Saoud Al Thani has said Qatar’s banking sector is sound, liquid and profitable as the country handled the blockade successfully by taking .. Qatar delivers medical aid to Croatia Qatar embassy on Thursday delivered medical aid from Qatar Charity to the maternity hospital in the Croatian capital, Zagreb, to help mitigate the effects of the earthquake that struck Zagreb in March, and caused severe .. IAEA praises Qatar for promoting peaceful use of nuclear energy The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has praised the progress made by Qatar, represented by the Ministry of Municipality and Environment, in promoting peaceful uses of nuclear energy in the agricultural, .. Three more held for flouting home-quarantine conditions QNA Doha The competent authorities on Thursday arrested three people for violating home-quarantine conditions. The arrests were made in implementation of the precautionary measures approved by the health ..