New corporate initiatives aim for carbon neutrality by 2050 Jul 22, 2020 0 733 12345 AFPNew York Nine global corporations unveiled an initiative Tuesday to step up efforts to move to a ‘net zero’ carbon emissions society, while Apple announced its own plan to be carbon neutral by 2030.“A new coalition including US-based Microsoft, Germany’s Mercedes-Benz AG, France’s Danone and Anglo-Dutch Unilever aims to develop and deliver research, guidance, and implementable roadmaps to enable all Businesses to achieve net zero emissions,” according to a statement by the group. The initiative, known as Transform to Net Zero, aims to help Businesses achieve zero emissions no later than 2050.“Over the past decade, many Businesses have committed to net zero targets. It is now time to accelerate the actions needed to achieve this essential goal,” said Aron Cramer, president of the nonprofit consultancy BSR, which will serve as the secretariat for the initiative.“We are now in a decisive decade, in which we must urgently decarbonize the economy, if we are to stave off the worst impacts of climate change.”Other founding members of the coalition include the Danish shipping giant Maersk, Brazilian personal care firm Natura, US-based Starbucks and Nike, India-based tech firm Wipro and the nonprofit Environmental Defense Fund.“The gap between where we are on climate change and where we need to be continues to widen,” said Fred Krupp, president of Environmental Defense Fund.“This new initiative holds tremendous potential for closing these gaps. Especially if other Businesses follow in the coalition’s footsteps,” Krupp said. Apple, meanwhile, said in a separate announcement it would become carbon neutral by 2030 for all its operations including manufacturing.The California tech giant, which is already carbon neutral for its corporate operations, said the move would mean no climate impact for all its devices sold.As part of an environmental update, Apple said it plans to reduce emissions by 75 percent by 2030 while developing “innovative carbon removal solutions” for the remaining 25 percent of its comprehensive footprint. Pages 1234 RELATED ARTICLES Creditors say no to Argentina’s plan for debt restructure Jul 22, 2020 0 603 August looms as uncertain deadline for jobless Americans Jul 22, 2020 0 595 TikTok parent spends record on lobbying as US pressure mounts Jul 22, 2020 0 656 TikTok to add 10,000 US jobs in 3 years AFP Washington The fast-growing video-sharing app TikTok said Tuesday it plans to add some 10,000 US jobs over the next three years, as it battles complaints over its ties to China. A spokesman said the new jobs would be in ..