Sunday, September 20, 2020
banner
Home /  World  /  Philippines reports 227 additional deaths from COVID-19

Philippines reports 227 additional deaths from COVID-19

Philippines reports 227 additional deaths from COVID-19

DPA
Manila
The Philippines on Monday reported a total of 227 more deaths from Covid-19, the highest figure in a day, but noted that more than half of the deaths occurred as early as April.
The deaths were only reported or confirmed by local government units and added into the national tally now, the Department of Health said.
The latest figures bring the total death toll in the country to 1,599 as of Monday.
The department also reported 2,960 additional coronavirus infections, pushing the national caseload to 57,006 as of Monday.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said 167 of the deaths occurred in April, May and June, while 60 happened so far this month.
“We expect more deaths to be reported in the coming days as a result of our data reconciliation efforts,” she told a televised press conference. “Should we be worried? Yes, because one too many deaths is a concern.”
Several hospitals in the capital of Manila have announced that their Covid-19 wards have been at full capacity since last week.
Makati Medical Center, one of the top hospitals in Manila, said it has attended to tens of thousands of patients suspected of being infected with the coronavirus since February, but it was now unable to accept more cases as of Monday.
St Luke’s Medical Center, another top hospital in Manila, said its two branches could also no longer take in more Covid-19 patients but would announce it if could re-open admissions for coronavirus cases.
An inter-agency task force was evaluating quarantine protocols in the capital of Manila and other high-risk areas to determine what amendments would be made after July 15, when the current guidelines run out.
“There are areas that will see quarantine rules escalate considering the observation that severe and critical cases rose, [and] at the same time, new cases also climbed,” said Carlito Galvez, head of the national Covid-19 task force.
But Galvez said it was unlikely that the government would impose a strict lockdown in a wide area as initially done in mid-March, noting that economic activity has to be sustained.

Pages