US invites China to arms control talks, seeing opening Jul 10, 2020 0 1830 12345 AFPWashingtonThe United States on Thursday again invited China to talks on arms control, saying it saw an opening with Beijing on three-way negotiations with Russia despite intense disagreements.“The United States welcomes China’s commitment to engage in arms control negotiations. As such, prudent next steps will need to include face-to-face meetings between the United States and China,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said.President Donald Trump’s administration has been demanding that a rising China take part in talks on a successor to the New START treaty, which caps the nuclear warheads of Cold War-era superpowers the United States and Russia.China did not join initial US-Russia talks last month in Vienna on the treaty, which expires in February.But China on Wednesday said it was willing to participate in arms control negotiations with the United States -- with the major caveat that Washington reduce its arsenal to the much smaller size of Beijing.Fu Cong, director general of the Department of Arms Control at China’s foreign ministry, charged that the US stance was “nothing but a ploy” to let Washington leave New START and have a free hand in ramping up its nuclear program.The United States nonetheless saw the glass as half-full and seized on the statement, saying that Marshall Billingslea, the US negotiator, would invite China to talks to follow up. RELATED ARTICLES Russia arrests governor over murders, sparking party fury Jul 10, 2020 0 1321 US Supreme Court rules Trump must hand over his financial records Jul 10, 2020 0 1818 Trump hosts Mexican president on his first foreign visit Jul 10, 2020 0 1801 US sanctions Chinese officials over human rights abuses in Xinjiang DPA Washington The US Treasury Department has sanctioned four Chinese officials over the alleged abuse of Muslim minorities in the Xinjiang region, including one top Communist party leader who is seen as an architect of .. Italy bans travel from Brazil, 12 other high-risk virus countries ROME: Italy closed its borders on Thursday to travellers from 13 countries, including Brazil, deeming them high-risk places for the spread of coronavirus infections. The travel ban applies to Armenia, Bahrain, .. Previously acquitted UK man convicted of terror attack plan AFP London A former Uber driver cleared of planning a terror attack at Buckingham Palace was on Thursday jailed for life after plotting a gun and knife rampage at London tourist sites. Mohiussunnath Chowdhury was found .. Biden unveils $700 billion economic recovery plan AFP Washington Joe Biden unveiled a sweeping $700 billion plan on Thursday to help the battered US economy recover from the coronavirus crisis, a direct challenge to Donald Trump’s “America First” agenda as they square .. US charges man and sons who peddled bleach as virus cure WASHINGTON: US authorities have charged the leader of a fake church and his three sons with conspiracy and contempt for selling a toxic bleach as a cure for COVID-19. The Florida man, Mark Grenon, had seized in April on .. First WHO evaluation on handling of virus to be released in November DPA Geneva Members of the World Health Organization (WHO) will draw first conclusions about the global handling of the coronavirus pandemic in November, the UN agency announced on Thursday. An evaluation commission ..