Libya rivals agree return to ceasefire talks, says UN Jun 03, 2020 0 479 12345 AFPTripoliThe United Nations’ Libya mission said Tuesday the country’s warring parties had agreed to restart talks aimed at reaching a lasting ceasefire, after a three-month suspension.In a statement, UNSMIL “welcomed” moves by the Government of National Accord and forces backing eastern-based military commander Khalifa Haftar to accept “restarting negotiations on a ceasefire and the related security arrangements”.Pro-Haftar forces have been battling since April last year to seize the capital Tripoli from the UN-recognised GNA, in fighting that has left hundreds dead and forced 200,000 to flee their homes.A military commission made up of five GNA loyalists and five Haftar delegates held talks in February, but the dialogue was suspended.A January truce brokered by GNA backer Turkey and key Haftar ally Russia has been repeatedly violated.Neither side immediately commented on the UN statement.Haftar’s rapid advance on Tripoli last year stalled to a bloody stalemate on the edges of the capital.In recent weeks, GNA forces buoyed by Turkish drones and air defence systems have taken back a string of coastal towns and a key airbase, Haftar is supported by neighbouring Egypt and the United Arab Emirates as well as Russia.The UN mission urged “states backing either of the belligerents to respect what was agreed at the Berlin conference” in late January, where world leaders committed to ending all foreign meddling in Libya and to uphold a much-violated arms embargo.UNSMIL also voiced hopes that the resumption of talks by the joint military commission would be “the start of a truce on the ground and a humanitarian truce to provide the opportunity to reach a final ceasefire deal.” Pages 12 RELATED ARTICLES Iran says scientist jailed in US flying home Jun 03, 2020 0 419 S African court judges virus lockdown rules ‘invalid’ Jun 03, 2020 0 873 Jordan says foiled suicide attacks against Israel Jun 03, 2020 0 45 Rwanda genocide suspect lawyers push for French trial AFP Paris Lawyers for Rwandan genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga have called on UN prosecutors to end their international case and allow him to be tried in France where he was arrested. Described as Africa’s most wanted .. Tunisia to reopen land, sea, air borders at end of June Tunis: Tunisia plans to reopen its borders at the end of June, after more than three months of being closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. After a meeting of the National Committee to Combat Covid-19, the government .. Mali teachers strike over virus concerns as schools reopen Bamako: Teachers in the West African state of Mali went on strike Tuesday, the first day schools reopened after being closed for two months, over fears of inadequate protection against coronavirus. Details of the number .. Iran bemoans ill-discipline as virus cases crest again Tehran: Iran on Tuesday lamented that people were ignoring social distancing rules as it reported more than 3,000 new coronavirus infections in a second cresting wave. “The fact that people have become completely ..