Libya’s Haftar retakes district south of Tripoli Jun 02, 2020 0 453 12345 AFPTripoliLibyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar’s forces said they retook a district south of Tripoli on Monday, after a series of losses to pro-unity government troops.“Units of the armed forces were able to seize the Al-Assabia area this morning after a string of air strikes” on forces backing the Government of National Accord, said Ahmad al-Mesmari, a spokesman for Haftar’s forces.Images and videos on social media and Libyan television appeared to show Haftar’s troops entering the area, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Tripoli.Pro-GNA forces said Monday they had escalated their own air raids in Al-Assabia, without confirming they had lost the district.“The air force targeted three military vehicles (an Emirati Tiger armoured vehicle, an ammunition truck and a truck mounted with a 14.5 anti-aircraft gun), on the edges of Al-Assabia, spokesman Mohamad Gnunu said.He said pro-GNA forces had been ordered to “crush the rebels... without mercy or pity”.The 2011 uprising that toppled and killed longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi plunged Libya into years of chaos, with two rival administrations and scores of militias struggling for power. Haftar, who controls much of eastern and southern Libya, launched an offensive last spring to seize Tripoli from the United Nations-recognised GNA.Foreign support for the warring parties has added to the fighting, with Haftar receiving Emirati and Russian support while Turkey has increasingly backed the GNA with drones and air defence systems.The offensive quickly stalled on the edges of the capital, and in recent weeks GNA forces have taken back a string of towns and districts around the capital including key coastal cities further west and the strategic airbase of Al-Watiya. Pages 123 RELATED ARTICLES West Bank poverty may double over pandemic as annexation looms Jun 02, 2020 0 427 Iran says 230 killed in November protests Jun 02, 2020 0 427 Saudi coalition says it downed two drones launched by Yemen’s Houthis Jun 02, 2020 0 973 Lebanon says too early to claim victory over virus AFP Baalbek The worst of the coronavirus pandemic has passed but declaring victory against the disease would be premature, Lebanon’s health minister said Monday, as the country gradually opened up. “I think the .. Iran says virus cases jump nearly 3,000 in a day, a 2-month high Tehran Iran on Monday announced almost 3,000 new coronavirus infections, its highest daily count in two months, as it warned of another “dangerous peak” in the Middle East’s deadliest outbreak. “People seem to think the .. Nigeria easing virus restrictions on churches, mosques AFP Abuja Nigeria’s government on Monday said it was easing restrictions on places of worship as it cautiously rolled back more measures aimed at stopping the spread of coronavirus. The authorities however warned that .. New Ebola outbreak confirmed in western Congo Kinshasa A new Ebola outbreak in north-western Congo was confirmed on Monday at a press conference held by the health minister. “I can confirm that we have a new Ebola outbreak in Mbandanka,” Health Minister Eteni ..