US tops 400,000 COVID-19 cases as Trump threatens to cut WHO fundings Apr 09, 2020 0 511 12345 AFPWASHINGTONTHE United States on Wednesday surpassed 400,000 novel coronavirus cases, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.The pandemic has now claimed the lives of at least 12,936 people in the United States, which leads the world in the number of confirmed infections with 401,116, by the Baltimore-based school’s count.The 300,000-case milestone was passed on Saturday.The US death toll is approaching those of hard-hit Italy with more than 17,000 and Spain with more than 14,500.President Donald Trump on Tuesday threatened to cut US funding to the World Health Organization, accusing it of bias toward China during the coronavirus pandemic.Trump told reporters he was “going to put a very powerful hold on” funding to WHO, the UN body whose biggest funding source is the United States. “We’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO,” said Trump, who pursues an ‘America First’ agenda and has previously criticised other UN and multilateral agencies.He gave no details about how much money would be withheld and minutes later during the same press conference he said: “I’m not saying I’m going to do it.” “We will look at ending funding,” he added.According to Trump, the WHO “seems to be very biased toward China. That’s not right.” His comments built on an earlier statement on Twitter in which he accused the WHO of being “very China centric.” President Donald Trump has defended his response to the crisis, and on Tuesday he accused the World Health Organization of reacting slowly. He questioned why the WHO had given “such a faulty recommendation,” apparently referring to the UN body’s advice against curtailing international travel to stop the virus which first spread from China.“They called it wrong. They really missed the call. They could have called it months earlier,” he said.Trump has been widely criticised for initially downplaying the virus, which he likened to an ordinary flu and said was under control in the United States, before later accepting that it was a national emergency. RELATED ARTICLES Bernie Sanders ends his US presidential bid Apr 09, 2020 0 1564 UK reports new daily record of 938 COVID-19 deaths; PM remains in ICU Apr 09, 2020 0 1145 Sweden rejects Trump claims over ‘too soft’ virus strategy Apr 09, 2020 0 158 Finland discovers masks bought from China not hospital-safe AFP HELSINKI TWO million protective masks purchased by Finland from China have turned out to be unsuitable for use in hospitals, the Finnish government admitted on Wednesday. On Tuesday Finland’s Health minister .. Poland confirms 5,000 cases of novel coronavirus WARSAW: The number of patients infected with the novel coronavirus in Poland reached the 5,000 mark, the country’s Health Ministry said on Wednesday. As of Wednesday morning, the country had recorded exactly 5,000 .. US, Britain warn that hackers increasingly use coronavirus bait AFP WASHINGTON US and British cybersecurity agencies warned on Wednesday that foreign government-backed hacking groups are using coronavirus themes to ply their way into computers and networks. The groups are .. Italy’s daily death count falls under 600 as infections near 140,000 DPA ROME ITALY’S daily death toll from the novel coronavirus epidemic fell to 542 on Wednesday, while the total number of infections crept up to nearly 140,000. It was only the second time in nearly three weeks that the .. EU science chief resigns over coronavirus response BRUSSELS: The head of the European Research Council has resigned, the EU confirmed on Wednesday, reportedly in protest at the bloc’s handling of its coronavirus response. Mauro Ferrari, who only took over as president .. Spain plans gradual return to normal from end of April DPA MADRID SPAIN, which has been under a lockdown since March 15, could slowly see life return to normal by the end of the month, according to the government. Finance minister and government spokeswoman Maria Jesus .. UN chief calls for unity after Trump slams WHO NEW YORK: UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday said it was not the time to criticise the early response to the coronavirus pandemic, after US President Donald Trump attacked the World Health Organization. ..