Saudi Arabia detains king’s brother, nephew in crackdown: Reports Mar 08, 2020 0 370 12345 Saudi Arabia has detained two senior members of the royal family — Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz, the younger brother of King Salman, and Mohammed bin Nayef, the king’s nephew — according to reports citing sources with knowledge of the matter.The Wall Street Journal reported the detentions of the two royals on Friday and said they related to an alleged coup attempt. Bloomberg also reported the detentions, quoting a source as saying that the pair were accused of “treason”.Mohammed bin Nayef’s younger brother, Prince Nawaf bin Nayef, had also been detained, according to the New York Times.There was no immediate comment by Saudi authorities.The detentions mark the latest crackdown by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, King Salman’s son and the de facto ruler of the kingdom.Prince Mohammed, also known as MBS, has moved to consolidate power since replacing his cousin, Mohammed bin Nayef, as heir to the throne in 2017. Later that year, he arrested dozens of royals and business people, in what was billed as a move against corruption that was draining state coffers.But the crown prince has fuelled resentment among some prominent branches of the ruling family by tightening his grip on power and some question his ability to lead following the 2018 murder of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi agents and a major attack on Saudi oil infrastructure last year, sources have told Reuters news agency.The sources said royals seeking to change the line of succession view Prince Ahmed, King Salman’s only surviving full brother, as a possible choice who would have the support of family members, the security apparatus and some Western powers.In late 2018, a video emerged of Prince Ahmed facing protesters outside his London residence and in which he seemed to criticise King Salman and his crown prince for the war in Yemen. (Al Jazeera) RELATED ARTICLES Doha Oasis experiential theme park to open soon Mar 08, 2020 0 8579 One more tests positive for virus in Qatar, total cases reach 12 Mar 08, 2020 0 996 Many firms in pipeline for QSE listing: Official Mar 08, 2020 0 408 No need to panic over COVID-19, says MoPH CATHERINE W GICHUKI DOHA More than 3, 000 people have been tested for coronavirus (COVID-19) so far in Qatar and only 12 of them tested positive for the virus, Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) officials said at a press .. Sheikha Moza opens QF’s Equine Veterinary Medical Center Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Qatar Foundation, officially opened Al Shaqab’s Equine Veterinary Medical Center on Saturday. The world-class equine healthcare and research facility is the .. NMoQ wins two LCD Berlin Awards The National Museum of Qatar (NMoQ) has become the only cultural destination in the world to have won two prestigious LCD Berlin Awards: the New Culture Destinations of the Year award in the ‘Middle East and Africa’ .. 70 trapped as quarantine hotel in China collapses Around 70 people were trapped after the collapse of a hotel used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in eastern China on Saturday, officials said. At least 38 people have so far been rescued from the rubble of the 80-room .. Quarantine facilities offering best care: Officials CATHERINE W GICHUKI Doha The quarantine facilities in Qatar are of world-class and the patients are being offered excellent services, according to health officials. Sheikh Dr Mohammed bin Hamad al Thani, Director of ..