Murray closer than he thought to singles return, to play doubles with brother Jamie at Citi Open Jul 31, 2019 0 287 12345 Former world number one Andy Murray is considering returning to singles action at Cincinnati next month, saying he is “closer than he thought” to being ready. The 32-year-old has not played singles since losing in the first round of the Australian Open in January to Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut, after which he underwent hip resurfacing surgery in a bid to salvage his career. He returned to doubles action at Queen’s Club this year, winning the title with Spain’s Feliciano Lopez, and also played men’s doubles with Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert and mixed with Serena Williams at Wimbledon. Three-time Grand Slam champion Murray had previously said it was extremely unlikely he would be ready to play singles at the U.S. Open but now believes a return on the Cincinnati hardcourts in two weeks’ time is possible. “I’m closer than I thought,” Murray said at the Citi Open in Washington where he is playing doubles with brother Jamie. “Best case scenario probably would be Cincinnati,” he said.“And then if I wasn’t able to play in Cincinnati, there’s a good chance I would probably wait until after New York, because I wouldn’t want my first tournament, either, to be playing best-of-five sets.” Murray said he is practising singles in Washington and is also lined up to play doubles at the Rogers Cup next week in Toronto with Lopez. (Reuters) Pages 123 RELATED ARTICLES Moreno joins Al Gharafa; Rashidov inks deal with QSC Jul 31, 2019 0 872 Tuchel tells stars to ‘make sacrifices’ after Sydney win Jul 31, 2019 0 478 Mimi to wear number nine shirt at Al Duhail Jul 31, 2019 0 688 Semenya to miss Doha worlds after Swiss court ruling AFP Paris Caster Semenya will not defend her world 800m title in Doha in September after a Swiss judge overruled a temporary suspension on the IAAF’s controversial testosterone-curbing rules, her representatives said .. Real Madrid’s pre-season struggles continue with 1-0 loss to Tottenham in Germany AFP Munich Real Madrid’s disastrous pre-season continued on Tuesday as they lost 1-0 to Tottenham in Munich. “Our defeat was well deserved,” Real midfielder Tony Kroos told German TV after the match. “It’s true that .. Fans to sue after Ronaldo sits out Juventus friendly in Seoul Reuters SEOUL Soccer fans in South Korea are taking legal action to seek compensation after Cristiano Ronaldo failed to play in a friendly during Juventus’ pre-season tour in Seoul last week. Ronaldo had been contracted .. PSG sign Idrissa Gueye from Everton Senegal midfielder Idrissa Gueye has completed his transfer from Everton to Paris Saint-Germain, the French champions confirmed on Tuesday. “Paris St-Germain is thrilled to announce the signing of Idrissa Gueye!” .. Brazil police end Neymar rape probe over lack of evidence AFP Sao Paulo Police in Brazil probing rape allegations against football superstar Neymar have closed the case due to a lack of evidence, the Sao Paulo attorney general’s office said Monday. The police decision will be ..