QT-Online / Wednesday, July 15, 2020 / Categories: Top News Mesaieed Hospital discharges last COVID-19 patients Catherine W Gichuki Doha Hamad Medical Corporation’s (HMC) Mesaieed Hospital on Wednesday discharged its last group of six patients who recovered from coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Only the six patients were remaining at the hospital and the facility will not receive anymore COVID-19 patients. The hospital was officially opened in April by the Minister of Public Health HE Dr Hanan Mohamed Al Kuwari to increase Qatar’s health system’s capacity to care for COVID-19 patients. Ras Laffan Hospital which was also officially opened in April discharged its last patients earlier this month. Speaking to Qatar Tribune HMC Chief of Continuing Care Group and Acting CEO of Mesaieed Hospital Mahmoud S Al Rais said the hospital treated 6,173 patients from April till Wednesday. “The Mesaieed Hospital came in the right time because we needed it for COVID-19 so that we could admit our patients.” He reiterated that most of the cases admitted at the hospital did not require the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) facility. “We prepared the ICU just in case of severe but fortunately we did not use the facility because the cases were mild. Hazm Mebaireek General Hospital was the main hospital of COVID-19 and the hospital used its ICU heavily. We didn’t admit any patient in ICU at Mesaieed Hospital.” According to him 45 ICU beds had been prepared and were ready to receive patients. Al Rais said that the plan on how to use the Mesaieed Hospital was still under discussion. “We are still discussing and reviewing this after COVID. However, the facility will remain like that for some time just in case of a recurrent of covid-19 patients and after that the plan will be reviewed and decided to be a general hospital, I believe. We are not admitting any more covid-19 patients if there is no re-current. We will keep it on hold just in case there is another peak that is coming we will put it as a spare hospital to be used again. Otherwise, it will stay until a new plan comes up.” Talking about how the staff at the hospital kept going during the pandemic, Al Rais said, “It was not easy at the beginning because everybody was scared to be exposed. But we provided all the safety measures to them including educational and safety tools as well as motivating them. Being leaders we worked hand in hand with them. They were really motivated to work and I am happy they worked without grumbling. I take this opportunity to thank all those worked in Mesaieed Hospital and giving the best care to our patients.” Giving advice to members of the public who feel the COVID-19 is gone, now that the gradual lifting of the COVID-19 restrictions is taking place Al Rais said, “I would like to strongly urge everyone to continue complying with the precautions and advise issued by the Ministry of Public Health. COVID-19 hasn’t gone completely, it is there all the time so we need to continue following all the precautionary measures like social distancing, wearing of masks and regular washing of hands because we don’t want to go for another peak.” Previous Article ICJ ruling reaffirms integrity of Qatar’s legal position on unjust blockade: Cabinet Next Article Airspace row: Qatar Airways says will seek all means to secure full compensation Print 3104 Rate this article: 3.7 Please login or register to post comments.