QT-Online / Wednesday, April 1, 2020 / Categories: Top News Locked-down Industrial area streets to remain closed: Khater POSITIVE: 84% of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Qatar discovered among individuals under observation or in quarantine Tribune News Network Doha The previously locked-down portion of the Industrial area will remain closed until further notice as part of efforts to contain the spread of coronavirus in Qatar, Supreme Committee for Crisis Management Spokesperson HE Lolwah Rashid al Khater said in a press conference on Wednesday. Supply of food and medical items would remain uninterrupted as before, she said, adding that three clinics were operating in the area to deal with emergency cases. Khater said the virus transmission pattern in the country is a cause for optimism as 84 percent of the confirmed cases were discovered among individuals under observation or in quarantine. Only 16 percent of the cases were detected from among the general public (community infections). The spokesperson attributed the recent spike in positive COVID-19 cases to two reasons — the return of Qatar nationals from abroad in large number and the introduction of advanced COVID-19 testing devices that enable health workers to test a larger number of people over a smaller period of time than before. Khater said the country had made great stride towards self-sufficiency in medical supplies that are of immediate need to combat the spread of coronavirus. The country produced 266,000 bottles of sterilisers and 2 million pieces of masks domestically in the last few, she said, meeting the local market's need without relying on imports. Previous Article 89% of COVID-19 cases in Qatar mild, only 3% serious: Khater Next Article 13 more citizens arrested for violating home-quarantine pledge Print 10983 Rate this article: 3.8 Please login or register to post comments.