QT-Online / Saturday, March 28, 2020 / Categories: Top News Qatar reports first coronavirus death, 28 more test positive Tribune News Network Doha Qatar reported its first death from the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Saturday as the last 24 hours saw 28 more people testing positive for the virus, taking the total to 590. The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) only identified the victim as a 57-year-old resident of Qatar from Bangladesh, who had been suffering from chronic diseases. The deceased had been admitted to the intensive care immediately after he was diagnosed with the disease on March 16, the ministry said, extending its condolences and sympathies to his family. The individuals tested positive on Saturday either had a recent foreign travel history or was a contact of those diagnosed earlier, the MoPH said. All of them are in quarantine with necessary medical care, it added. The ministry also announced the recovery of two individuals — both Qatari citizens — on Saturday, bringing the total number of recovery cases to 45. So far, 16,582 people have been tested for the virus in Qatar. The majority of the people tested positive for coronavirus in Qatar are young adults between the ages of 20 and 40, according a state health official. People with underlying conditions such as diabetics, heart, kidney and lung problems, the elderly and those taking immunosuppressive drugs are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19. They should not leave home for the time being. "We are working to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, and if we can implement preventive measures at individual and societal level for a period of four weeks, we will see a significant decline in the number of cases," said Hamad Medical Corporation's Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Abdullatif al Khal. Previous Article Russia presents Covid-19 treatment based on existing anti-malaria drug Next Article Favourable court ruling for Khelaifi in Swiss corruption probe Print 16544 Rate this article: 4.1 Please login or register to post comments.