Thursday, October 29, 2020
banner
Latest News
8 more test positive for coronavirus in Qatar, total hits 460
QT-Online
/ Categories: Top News

8 more test positive for coronavirus in Qatar, total hits 460

Tribune News Network
Doha
Eight more people, including two Qatari citizens returning from UK and Italy, have tested positive for the coronavirus in Qatar, taking the total caseload to 460, Supreme Committee for Crisis Management spokesperson HE Lolwah bint Rashid al Khater said in a press conference held in Doha on Thursday. All of them are in quarantine, she added.
Meanwhile, six more individuals, including two Qataris, have made recovery, she said, taking the total number of recoveries in Qatar so far to 10.
However, Khater said, six Covid-19 patients under treatment are now in intensive care unit.
So far, 9,640 people have been tested for Covid-19 in Qatar, as per the Ministry of Public Health's website.

On February 29, Qatar had confirmed its first coronavirus case, on a 36-year-old citizen returning from Iran, which is a hotspot of the disease in the Middle East.
A little over a week later, the Ministry of Public Health announced that for the first time three expatriates working in the country had contracted the virus. The 12 previous cases all involved Qatari citizens and other nationals evacuated in late February from Iran. 
On March 8, Qatar banned the entry of travellers from 14 Asian countries as the first step of a series of widespread measures to contain the spread of the outbreak.
A day later, it announced a nationwide closure of schools and universities, with public places that attracted a large number of people like the Katara Cultural Village, the National Museum of Qatar and Qatar Foundation facilities closing down in subsequent days.
A week later, on March 14, Qatar extended the travel restrictions, suspending visas on arrival for travellers from Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Sudan, and a day later, asked restaurants and cafes to shut down their dining rooms.
On March 17, the government locked down a portion of its Industrial Area where a large number of people have tested positive for Covid-19. Leading by example, the government directed all state entities to ask 80 percent of their staff to work from home. The firms in the private sector followed suit.

Previous Article Health ministry starts #StayHome campaign to encourage self-isolation
Next Article Two Covid-19 transmission patterns in Qatar; home quarantine approved as second option: Khater
Print
15742 Rate this article:
4.0

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x