No joint Korean march at Paralympics due to flag row Mar 09, 2018 0 43 12345 AFPPyeongchangThe two Koreas will not march together at Friday's Winter Paralympics opening ceremony, as they did at the Olympics, due to a disagreement about whether to include islands disputed with Japan on a united flag, officials said.Athletes from the North and South marched together at the opening of last month's Winter Olympics under a neutral"unification flag", part of an intense rapprochement that also saw the North send hundreds of cheerleaders and leader Kim Jong Un's sister to the ceremony. Seoul responded by sending President Moon Jae-in's special envoys including his spy chief to Pyongyang, where leader Kim told them he was willing to discuss denuclearisation with the US.The North is sending two cross-country skiers Kim Jong Hyon and Ma Yu Chol to the Winter Paralympics, the first time it has ever sent athletes to the event, and the South's Yonhap news agency said athletes from both countries had initially agreed to march together at the opening ceremony. But after lengthy negotiations between both countries Thursday, the Korea Paralympic Commitee (KPC) said there would be no joint march as the North"cannot accept the fact that it is not allowed to display Dokdo in the unification flag during the Games". Dokdo is the name given by South Korea to Seoul-controlled islands in the Sea of Japan, but they are also claimed by Japan, which calls them"Takeshima".Ahead of last month's Winter Olympics, Japan was angered after a unification flag which depicts a pale blue sihouette of the peninsula used at a practice of the Koreas'combined women's ice hockey team showed a blue dot indicating the islands. Seoul agreed to stop using that version of the flag after Tokyo protested.The KPC said that the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) had told them it was impossible change the flag as it has a"strong partnership"with the International Olympic Committee. "The IPC said it did not want any more controversy over this, so decided to honour each side's opinion by letting the two countries march separately,"the KPC said.IPC president Andrew Parsons added:"We respect the decision of the two (committees) who decided that marching separately would be better for both parties." POST A COMMENT RELATED ARTICLES China talks tough on sea row, won't cede 'an inch' Mar 09, 2018 0 34 Africa should avoid forfeiting sovereignty to China over loans, says Tillerson Mar 09, 2018 0 35 S Korean diplomats arrive in US to brief officials on talks with Kim Mar 09, 2018 0 312 US 'a long way' from talks with North Korea, says Tillerson (delete) AFP Addis Ababa Washington's top diplomat Rex Tillerson said Thursday the United States was"a long way from negotiations"with North Korea, which this week made a shock offer to discuss denuclearisation. .. Seoul envoys leave for US with Pyongyang talks offer Seoul, March 8, 2018 (AFP) -Two South Korean envoys left for Washington Thursday to brief US officials on their landmark visit to Pyongyang and the North's offer to talk about giving up its nuclear arsenal. Chung .. Australia probes company tied to N Korea coal sale UN: Australian authorities are investigating a Sydney-based property company accused of breaching United Nations sanctions on North Korea by brokering an illicit sale of coal, according to a confidential UN report. .. Nigeria sentences man to life prison for 2010 car bombing ABUJA: A Nigerian court on Wednesday sentenced the brother of a suspected militant leader to life imprisonment for treason for his involvement in twin car bombings in the capital, Abuja, in 2010. The blasts, which killed .. China denies 'backroom deals' in Silk Road initiative BEIJING: China's huge Belt and Road initiative to build a new Silk Road will respect global rules and be free of"backroom deals", the foreign minister said on Thursday, defending a key policy of President Xi .. US 'a long way' from N Korea negotiations, says Tillerson AFP Addis Ababa Washington's top diplomat Rex Tillerson said Thursday the United States was"a long way from negotiations"with North Korea, which this week made a shock offer to discuss denuclearisation. .. Abe asks North Korea to take 'concrete steps' Japan's prime minister warned Thursday that North Korea's offer of denuclearisation talks with the US could be a ploy to play for time and stressed the need for Pyongyang to take"concrete"steps. Shinzo Abe said ..