Philippines plans to sue Sanofi over dengue vaccine: Minister Dec 08, 2017 0 74 12345 AFPManilaThe Philippines intends to sue Sanofi after authorities suspended the pharmaceutical giant's anti-dengue vaccine in response to the company warning the drug could lead to severe infections in some cases, the health secretary said on Thursday.Regulators froze the Philippines' world-first public dengue immunisation programme last week and suspended all sales of the vaccine on Monday after Sanofi said Dengvaxia could worsen symptoms for vaccinated people who contracted the disease for the first time."Eventually it's the court of law that is going to decide in so far as the liability of Sanofi is concerned," Health Secretary Francisco Duque said on ABS-CBN televisionThe previous administration of president Benigno Aquino launched the vaccination programme last year, making the Philippines the first nation to use Dengvaxia on a mass scale.About 830,000 schoolchildren had received at least one dose of the vaccine, Duque said on Thursday. Previously the government said more than 733,000 people had been vaccinated.Sanofi's announcement last week caused great concern in the Philippines -- where the mosquito-born disease is extremely prevalent.The French company on Monday sought to allay concerns, saying Dengvaxia would not cause anyone who was immunised to die and would not cause a dengue infection.However, Duque said Thursday Sanofi's recent statements on Dengvaxia were"confusing".Duque said he may ask Sanofi to refund 1.4 billion pesos ($27.6 million) worth of unused Dengvaxia supplies.He added the government might also demand Sanofi set up an"indemnity fund" to cover the hospitalisation cost for children vaccinated under the public programme who would fall ill.Asked if the government would sue Sanofi if allegations of a lack of transparency were proved, Duque said:"I'm sure it's going to get there".He added:"If it's found out that (Sanofi) withheld material information that would have changed the outcome of all of these problems and the decision makers of the Department of Health in the previous administration, then they are liable." POST A COMMENT RELATED ARTICLES Malaysia PM puts party on war footing before polls Dec 08, 2017 0 73 Cambodia laughs off Washington threats over democracy Dec 08, 2017 0 68 Vietnamese Communists could face expulsion for online criticism Dec 08, 2017 0 401 Thailand south declared disaster area as flash floods kill 15 DPA Bangkok Most of southern Thailand has been declared a disaster area after flash floods in the region killed 15 people in the past two weeks, officials told dpa on Thursday. All of the victims drowned, according to .. Indonesia fights 'extraordinary' diphtheria outbreak that has killed at least 32 people REUTERS JAKARTA Indonesian health authorities will launch an immunisation drive next week to contain a sharp rise in cases of diphtheria, which has killed at least 32 people, including many children, in the world's ..