Indonesian plane crash death toll rises to 11
AFP JAKARTA THE number of people killed when an Indonesian military jet crashed into a housing complex in the capital Jakarta has risen to 11, an air force spokesman said on Friday.
Ten people were previously confirmed dead after the Fokker-27 crashed into a military complex in the city on Thursday.
“A woman who was critically injured in the hospital died.
The death toll now stand at 11,” the country’s air force spokesman Asman Yunus told AFP. He said that nine people were being treated in hospital for minor injuries, including two children aged five and eight.
The Fokker-27 crashed into the housing complex within the Halim Perdanakusuma military airport compound at 2:45 pm (0745 GMT) after taking off from the same airport at 1:10 pm, killing all seven crew members. Four people were killed on the ground following a huge fire that followed.
The spokesman added that the search for more bodies ended early Friday morning and the plane wreckage had been taken away from the crash site.
“We finished the search and the clean-up work at 3:00 am this morning,” he said.
Indonesia, a sprawling archipelago, relies heavily on air transport but has one of the world’s poorest aviation safety records. Military plane crashes are relatively common.
Meanwhile, according to reports, rescuers finished searching damaged and burned homes on Friday without finding more victims of a military plane crash in Indonesia’s capital that killed seven airmen and four people in a house.
The Fokker F-27 turboprop was making a routine training flight when it crashed into the military housing complex in Jakarta on Thursday about 1.5 kilometers (nearly a mile) from the runway where it was trying to land. The dead were two children, their grandmother and aunt in one of the eight damaged houses, and the plane’s pilot, co-pilot and five trainees.
“Search and rescue efforts have been finished,” said air force spokesman Col. Agung Sasongko Jati on Friday morning. “All the wreckage has been removed and there is no more new victim.” Eleven people were injured in the crash that sent raging orange flames jumping several meters into the air and a huge column of black smoke billowing over the homes. The two children killed were 2 and 6 and their grandmother and aunt had been visiting, Jati said.
An investigation into the cause of the crash was continuing and might take three months, deputy chief of air force Rear Marshall Dede Rusamsi said. “We have been collecting data since last night,” he said.
Initial reports indicate that the pilots were fit to fly, Rusami said.
The aircraft, which was built in 1958 and has been used by Indonesia’s air force for the past 35 years with 14,900 flight hours, was declared airworthy before it took off for its second training flight of the day under clear skies, Jati said.
“It seemed that the pilot was trying to land on a nearby paddy field,” Jati said.
“But it was not clear whether it was because of an emergency.” He said the plane did not have a black box, which holds flight data and is common on passenger planes.
The crash comes after a Russian Sukhoi passenger jet slammed into an Indonesian volcano during a demonstration flight for potential buyers last month, killing all 45 people aboard.