Sindh card has run out of credit, says Nawaz Sharif
AGENCIES SHIKARPUR CHIEF of the opposition Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz (PML-N), Mian Mohammad Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday said that the Sindh card could no longer be used as it had “run out of credit,” Dawn News reported.
Speaking to reporters in Shikarpur, the PML-N chief blamed the country’s rulers of being disconnected from the people and oblivious to their problems.
He said it was time the government paid attention to the masses’ issues and served the people. Moreover, the former prime minister alleged that Rehman Malik’s past was rife with graft cases, saying that the interior minister had previously been convicted by the courts.
“Who is he to accuse others? He is not an angel,” said Sharif.
“He (Malik) joined forces with Zardari to save himself. Now they are only protecting each other.” Malik has accused the PMLN chief of money-laundering and corruption worth $32 million — claims the interior minister vows to prove.
The Supreme Court is hearing a case into allegations that the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) illegally financed politicians in the 1990s through the now defunct Mehran Bank Limited. The bank’s former chief, Younis Habib, claims he delivered money by hand to the PML-N chief, and paid his brother, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, a sum of Rs 2.5 million.
The PML-N denies the allegations, calling the claims baseless and a “pack of lies”.
Meanwhile, in a separate development, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Minister for Information, Mian Iftikhar Hussain, on Wednesday said his party (Awami National Party) would support whatever decisions the federal government takes regarding the resumption of NATO supplies.
Speaking to media representatives in Islamabad, the provincial minister said the decision taken by the federal government with regard to NATO supplies would be in the best interest of the country, however, he hoped that the recommencement of the supplies would come with certain conditions.
“Those who granted permission for NATO supplies through Pakistan are now making hue and cry,” he added.
Replying to a question regarding the fresh wave of terror attacks, the minister said it was a temporary situation and hoped that the government would soon overcome the crisis.
The minister categorically said that stern action would be taken against “terrorists no matter wherever they are”. The security forces have successfully carried out operations against terrorists in different parts of the province, he said, adding that actions against militants would continue.