Los Angeles district school tries to restore parents’ trust
LOS ANGELES WHEN students return to the school where two teachers were jailed last week for alleged lewdness, they’ll have new teachers in their classrooms, a new principal in the front office and new workers serving lunch.
In a move that experts said was unprecedented, the entire 120-member staff at Miramonte Elementary School will be replaced as of Thursday after a two-day school shutdown as part of Los Angeles Unified School District’s investigation into the two veteran teachers arrested last week.
“It’s the most severe action I’ve seen taken by a school district,” said Terri Miller, president of Stop Educator Sexual Abuse, Misconduct and Exploitation, an advocacy organisation based in Las Vegas.
The move by administrators on Monday evening was a bold step by the district to restore parents’ badly shaken confidence at the school, but it was met with mixed feelings.
It came after about three dozen people protested in front of the main doors of the school earlier on Monday, some carrying a banner that read, “We the parents demand our children be protected from lewd teacher acts.” It also followed a march later in the day, in which 100 angry parents marched from the elementary school to the nearby administrators meeting.
Some parents applauded when the decision was announced, while several dozen protested outside the school on Tuesday morning and circulated a petition calling for the staff to be reinstated.
Mother Maria Jimenez said some parents would at least like to have been notified that this was being considered as many feel it’s drastic. “They did this without advising us or consulting us,” she said.
Parents handed Superintendent John Deasy a petition on Monday night with 400 signatures calling for open doors and allowing parents to observe classrooms and act as hall monitors.
But they did not want good teachers removed, said Martha Escutia, a lawyer and former state senator who is helping parents to organise a group named Mothers of Miramonte.
“This is not being very well received,” Escutia said. “Some kids have established close relationships with their teachers.” Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he supported Superintendent John Deasy’s decision to replace the staff.
“I think we need to do everything we can to make sure these kids, these students and their families, get the help that they need and to get to the bottom of how this happened,” he said.
More than a quarter of students did not show up for class on Monday and a number of parents pulled children out of the school on Friday after news broke of a teacher arrested on a charge of fondling a second-grader, four days after a third-grade teacher was accused of 23 lewd acts including feeding children his semen in a bizarre “tasting game.” The school board on Tuesday voted unanimously to fire the teacher arrested on Friday, Martin Springer, 49.
He has 30 days to file an appeal.
The other teacher, Mark Berndt, 61, was fired in January 2011 after the district learned of a sheriff’s department probe. He appealed and resigned six months later.
Miramonte’s old staff will continue being paid and will be housed at an undisclosed location at least until August while each person is thoroughly interviewed, Superintendent John Deasy said.