Tuesday, February 25, 2020
banner
Latest News

No change in coronavirus outbreak despite China spike, says WHO

  • 13 February 2020
  • Author: QT01
  • Number of views: 1759
  • 0 Comments
No change in coronavirus outbreak despite China spike, says WHO
Coronavirus cases are not rising dramatically outside China despite a spike in Hubei province, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.
The only exception was on a cruise liner docked in Japan, where 44 new cases were reported, bringing the total there to 218.
There was also no major shift in the coronavirus's pattern of mortality or severity, according to the WHO.
The latest figures from Hubei recorded 116 deaths and 4,823 new cases.
That is a smaller increase than the previous day when there was a spike with 240 new deaths and nearly 15,000 new cases.
However, most of this was down to Hubei using a broader definition to diagnose people, said Mike Ryan, head of WHO's health emergencies programme.
"This does not represent a significant change in the trajectory of the outbreak," he said.
Outside China there had been two deaths and 447 cases in 24 countries, he said.
On Thursday Japan announced its first coronavirus death - a woman in her 80s who lived in Kanagawa, south-west of Tokyo.
The woman's diagnosis was confirmed after her death and she had no obvious link to China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, Japanese media reported.
On Thursday, the US state department said it was "deeply concerned" about the possible effect of an outbreak in North Korea, which has so far not reported any cases.
The US would facilitate assistance from US and international aid organisations to the country, the department said.
The vessel is in quarantine in Yokohama. Not all the 3,700 people on board have been tested yet.
People with the virus are taken to hospitals on land to be treated, while those on board are largely confined to their cabins.
However on Thursday Japan said it would allow those aged 80 or over who have tested negative for the coronavirus to disembark.
Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said they could be allowed off the ship as early as Friday but would have to stay in accommodation provided by the government, the Japan Times reported.
Meanwhile another cruise ship - the MS Westerdam - carrying more than 2,000 people docked in Cambodia after being turned away by ports in Japan, Taiwan, Guam, the Philippines and Thailand despite having no sick patients on board.
Print
Categories: Top News
Tags:
Rate this article:
5.0

Please login or register to post comments.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x