Tribune News Network
A top dietician at Hamad Medical Corporation’s Qatar Metabolic Institute (QMI) has issued an advisory for obese people to help them keep diseases away.
Head Dietitian in the Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery Department at QMI, Sahar Dahawi al Shamari says, “If you are obese, you are prone to many diseases including the life-threatening ones such as heart diseases, stroke, diabetes and certain cancers.”
Obesity is the excessive accumulation of fat in the body resulting from high calorie food intake with low physical activity.
According to Shamari, weight reduction should be the primary target of obese individuals, with or without diseases.
He suggests following measures to reduce weight:
1. Lifestyle Change
• Be ready not only to lose weight, but also to change your dietary habits and lifestyle to maintain the weight you attained, which has a positive impact on your health.
• Rapid weight loss in a short time period is unhealthy and weight that was attained will hardly be maintained. Be realistic. Try to lose about 1kg per week.
• Start your weight reduction programmed by avoiding high calories foods, as it is clear in the attached table.
• Distribute your food into 3 main meals and 2-3 snacks in between, with maintaining a regular timing.
• Avoid over eating and stick to specific portion size using small utensils, eat slowly and chew your food properly.
• Reading the food label helps in selection of suitable food items and calculating calorie contents.
• Keep time for daily regular exercise not less than 30 minutes (continuous), if you are unable to do so, do it in bouts of 10 minutes 3 times a day.
• Respect your body, walk faster and more often, increase gradually your indoor physical activity.
• During weight reduction the body will lose water faster than fat, so keep consumption of adequate amount of water 8-10 cups/day, it helps in weight loss and cleans your body from waste products.
Shamari then suggests ways for obese individuals to choose their food, which are as follows:
• Reduce fat intake, and make sure to be from vegetable sources like (olives oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, soy oil and canola oil), and avoid solid fat.
• Follow the healthy ways in food preparation as grilling, boiling, steaming and backing. Avoid fried and fatty foods.
• Consume the recommended amount of protein while dieting by taking good protein sources (chicken, fish, meat, cheese, egg and legumes), but don’t consume egg more than thrice a week.
• Fiber rich foods e.g. (fruits, vegetables and whole grain breads and cereals) provide satiety and they are good sources of vitamins and minerals include them in your meals.
• Starchy foods are required to provide your daily energy needs, consume the recommended and avoid overconsumption.
• Avoid simple sugar, sweetened juices and soft drinks.
• Reduce consumption of appetisers, it is rich in salt and promote over consumption of foods.
“Following such guidelines and changing your lifestyle to be a healthy lifestyle significantly works to reduce your weight and improve your physical and psychological feeling and can also help fight some obesity diseases and live longer and healthier lives. The encouraging fact is that you do not need to lose too much weight to enjoy better health. Even losing a small amount of weight equivalent to 5 percent to 10 percent of your initial weight can lead to significant health benefits”, Shamari remarked.